The first step to recruiting is creating your college list. This list should include colleges that fit you and your dreams. Find answers to the following questions then start googling to see where you could end up.
- Do you want a big school or a small school?
- The size of the student population, campus size (walkable vs not), student to faculty ratio, etc can all influence campus experiences.
- What do you want to study?
- You don’t need to know exactly what you want to study or what you want to do after graduation. When entering college, however, it is important to know a general field (sciences, humanities, etc.). This will help you narrow down your college list.
- Where do you want to be?
- Do you want to be in a big city or small town? Close to home or far away? In the North or South? All of these can be factors in your college search.
- Are you okay not starting/playing field hockey your freshman year?
- Be realistic with yourself and think hard about this question.
- Talk with your parents about the cost.
- College can be very expensive. Talk with your parents about how it will be paid for so you can set a price range on schools. Research what type of scholarships schools can give
Finally, use your resources to help you create a college list. School and club coaches, teachers, school counselors, siblings and older teammates are all good people to talk with when creating your college list!!